1864- Lloyds topographical map of Georgia from surveys before the Civil War
Showing the location of MARCUS, GA.
This map was created and published in 1864 by James T. Lloyd and here we present a partial section of the map centered on Jackson County. The original is in Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division, Washington D.C. 20540-4650 Digital ID http//hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3921s.cw0129600 Library of Congress number 99447154 This map includes the most important settlements and villages in existance in Jackson County befor the civil War: Jefferson, Center Village, Mulberry, Marcus, Pond Fork and Jug Tavern (Winder)
Marcus and Mulberry had rural Post Offices. Other villages may have had them also.
The postmaster of the Marcus Post Office was Allen Justice from 1846 until his death in 1858. His son-in-law John Moorman Venable took over the post office, appointed on June 16, 1859. When Venable left the area to join the Confederate Army as a lieutenant (later captain) in Company B, 16th Georgia Infantry Regiment a family member (likely Susan Melvina Justice Flanigan) continued postal duties at Marcus.
Both the Marcus and Mulberry Post Offices were temporarily discontinued after the Civil War (1866) and restored in 1872 with Susan Melvina Flanigan as Postmistress of the Marcus PO.